I just realized that I haven’t shared this recipe on our site yet. Holy cow, I need to go through and post a bunch of recipes stat!
You’re going to love this recipe, especially now that pumpkin season is upon us. It also freezes really well too. It’s delicious iced, but also great with just a dusting of powdered sugar. Also, the raisins are totally optional.
Let me know if you make it. You can also tag us on Instagram @juliesoriginal. I love to see what everyone bakes up.
Julie's Original Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Bars
- 1 package of Julie’s Original White Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups of non-dairy milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/3 cup canola or sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- 1/2 cup softened (NOT melted) vegan butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar (not packed), sifted to get the lumps out
- 4 to 5 tablespoons non-dairy milk (to make a spreadable frosting)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
Preheat oven to 350°F and line and grease a 9 x 13-inch glass or metal baking pan.
Cake: In a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer, add the cake mix, milk, pumpkin, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in the raisins. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the top center of the cake springs back when touched and a tester comes out clean.
Frosting: In the bowl of a mixer, combine the vegan butter, powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk, cinnamon and allspice. Whip until the frosting is thick and creamy. Add the extra tablespoon of milk if necessary to get a creamy spreadable consistency. Spread on cooled bars.
Variation: Substitute 1/3 cup finely chopped candied ginger in place of, or in addition to the raisins.
Copyright © 2017 Julie’s Original LLC