Julie’s Original Chocolate Cake Mix Directions
1. Grease your pan well (makes one cake: 7 x 10, 7 x 11-inch, 8-inch round, or about 14-15 cupcakes). The baking times will vary depending on the size of your pan. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl or stand mixer, add:
1 package Julie’s Original Chocolate Cake Mix
1 1/4 cups soymilk or other milk of choice
1/2 cup safflower, canola, or other light oil
2 teaspoons vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional
3. Beat well until batter is smooth and whipped, about 20 to 30 seconds.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and top is firm to the touch. See below for baking times.
5. Let cool completely before frosting and eating.
Baking Times: About 40-50 minutes for cakes and 25 to 30 minutes for cupcakes. *If making cupcakes, don’t fill each cup more than 2/3 full.
*Baking times may vary *
Variations: Add 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries or pitted cherries, and reduce chocolate chips to 1/3 cup. For a mocha version, you can add 1/2 cup brewed coffee + 3/4 cup milk (don’t add any additional milk!). For a chocolate red wine version, add 1/2 cup red wine + 3/4 cup milk (again don’t add any additional milk!).