I’ve been working on this recipe for a little while now, and it’s finally perfect! They totally remind me of a chocolate chip shortbread cookie that I used to make years ago (I think it was a recipe from Everyday Food). They are buttery without a trace of butter (thank you virgin coconut oil!), and go together in a snap. I have found that a stand mixer works best for these. I think it’s because there’s so little liquid in the recipe, so the stand mixer makes an easier job of mixing.
Although I haven’t tried any variations so far, I’m thinking that a little shredded coconut would be fantastic in these, as well as nuts (such as pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts or peanuts), if you roll that way. They are seriously so good and easy to make, which just amazes me even further about how versatile our white cake mix is!
- 1 bag Julie's Original White Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup So Delicious coconut milk (the refrigerated or boxed kind), room temp or slightly warmed
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla (I love Nielsen-Massey vanilla in these!)
- 1 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a metal 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and grease well.
- In a stand mixer, combine the cake mix, melted coconut oil, So Delicious coconut milk, and vanilla, Beat until the dough is completely mixed. This takes a minute or two to do, which is why I like the stand mixer. Stir in the chocolate chips. I find that I have to stir in the chocolate chips by hand to get them mixed in well.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. I find that a piece of plastic wrap placed on top makes it easier to press into the pan without it sticking to your hand. A plastic or rubber glove works well too.
- Bake the bars in the preheated oven for about 27 minutes (depending on your oven). The bars will be lightly golden and look slightly crisp on the edges. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool completely before cutting into bars.
- These cookie bars freeze really well. They will also keep well in the refrigerator for at least 5 days.
- Gluten-Free + Vegan