I came up with this recipe yesterday, and everyone loves them. I sampled the bars today at New Season’s Market, and promised that I would post this recipe ASAP. I had planned to play with the recipe a little more, so I may have another version or two coming soon. But no doubt, if you like oatmeal bars with a jam center, and those wonderful caramelized edges where the jam meets the oat crust, then you will love these!
This recipe makes a large pan (9 x 13-inch). If you’re not planning on eating them all within a couple of days, I suggest cutting the cooled bars into squares and freezing them in an airtight container or bag.
- 1 bag Julie's Original White Cake Mix
- 3 cups gluten-free oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup oil (canola, safflower or melted coconut oil) or 1/3 cup canola or melted coconut oil + 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/2 cup soy or almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups jam or preserves of choice (I used a combo of strawberry and raspberry)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a greased 9 x 13-inch metal or glass baking pan with parchment paper. Spray the paper with a light coating of oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, oats, cinnamon, oil, applesauce if using, soy or almond milk and vanilla with a wooden spoon. Beat until well mixed. You can use your hands at the end to make sure that the dough just sticks together. Alternately use a stand mixer.
- If the dough needs just a touch more moisture to stick together, add another tablespoon of applesauce.
- Press a scant 2/3 of the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Using your hands, crumble the rest of the remaining dough over the jam. It should look like a streusel or crumb topping. Lightly press the topping into the jam.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is a light golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool completely. Carefully remove the cooled bars from the pan and cut into squares.
- These bars are also also delicious with apricot jam or orange marmalade in place of the berry.